I targeted people who take L train every day for a commute and sent a group email to ITP students to recruit some people.
One student whose name is Yuan Hao replied and I interviewed him
- Name: Hau Yuan
- Occupation: ITP Student
- Currently lives on Dekalb Ave.
- Takes the L train almost every day to come to school
- How did he learn about the L train closure?
- One of his friends told him -> Searched -> also searched for other commuting methods.
- He hasn’t found any notification in the train station or an official announcement
- How the L train closure affects on him?
- He’s moving out mainly because of the L train closure + rent increase
- If the L train closes the commute time will be twice longer than now (25 – 30min. -> 40 – 50min)
- He might not stay even if the rent is same (He think the current rent is a bit overpriced and doesn’t want to spend a lot of time to commute.)
- He might stay if his landlady decreased the rent. coz he likes the room and the discount will compensate the longer commute time.
- Considering the following three facts, he decided to move out after 7 months since he moved into his current apt this September, and made a short contract.
- The L train is closing (knew about it when he made the contract)
- The rent is increasing
- ITP is moving to Brooklyn
- Other foundings
- Some landlords who own properties around L train are still increasing their rent for the places around L train line!!
The following picture shows some How Might We… thoughts that I found from the interview with Yuan: